Monday 27 September 2021

Match of the season: Brentford v. Liverpool

 Well I thoroughly enjoyed the football this weekend but winning always improves my mood. There was even a win that was not a win but felt like a win. A great couple of days for my top teams.

On Saturday I warmed up with some women's football as Everton took on Birmingham then I shifted to the Chelsea defeat at the hands of Manchester City. I listened as Aston Villa took the lead in the last few minutes at Old Trafford then my mood dropped as Manchester United were awarded the penalty that would see them deny Villa the victory. I was delighted when Bruno Fernandes skied the ball and I heard that Ronaldo went up to him and whispered in his ear. We all know he was saying "I AM TAKING THE NEXT ONE!".

So a great start to the weekend on Saturday lunchtime.

The 3pm session is back to the old "You will not watch anything LIVE at this time" so I tried to get some Rugby Union which is my usual Saturday afternoon but even THAT was not on this time so I settled down with the wife and we watched a new Romantic Comedy starring James Corden called Superintelligence. I allowed my disbelief to be suspended for long enough to enjoy the film although the premise is ridiculous. There were some funny scenes that had the wife laughing.

Enjoying the day all the way through to the early evening kick off.

I called it, and then I watched it! I said that this match would be CLOSE.

Brentford opened the scoring through Ethan Pinnock which led to a huge cheer both at the ground and in my lounge. The score was now Brentford 1 Liverpool 0. What made this so much better was that Liverpool are at the top of the league.

BRENTFORD 1 LIVERPOOL 0

They were expected to walk the match as Brentford are a newly promoted club and have not had time to get used to the pace of the Premier League. I was not worried as I watched the lads last season and they were already playing Premier League standard football. This time Liverpool witnessed it too. Brentford were outrunning and challenging Liverpool in every area of the field. Pressing, Tackling, Passing and best of all Shooting.

Ivan Toney had two goals disallowed, and Liverpool had a disallowed goal reinstated by VAR. I think VAR is employed to keep the top clubs in the top positions. Liverpool scored two lucky goals and were leading 2-1 when they allowed the ball to bounce around in their own area and Vitaly Janelt was allowed two attempts to head the ball into the net which he enjoyed all the more because his international manager, Hansi Flick, was watching the game from the stands.

BRENTFORD 2 LIVERPOOL 2

Liverpool scored a third lucky goal and then the moment of the match, although there were a million other moments, came when Mo Salah missed a clear chance by putting the ball just over the bar. I called it when I saw it ... "The ball bobbled" ... and the replay showed the ball bounce up just as he kicked it. Unlucky Mo, that happened to me more than once on the ropey old pitches I used to play on. That would have made things 4-2 to Liverpool and the match would have been over.

To be honest, most Brentford fans would have settled for a one goal defeat to the mighty reds but not Brentford. I KNEW IT THEN I SAW IT. Brentford kept on battling and put those reds under pressure as the match approached its final stages. Once again the ball was not cleared from the Liverpool penalty area and it was another second attempt that saw Yoane Wissa lift the ball over the keeper and into the net.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! The crowd went wild. I am already wild.

BRENTFORD 3 LIVERPOOL 3

Most teams would sit back at this point and protect the point but not Brentford. Ivan Toney raced through and put the ball in the back of the Liverpool net.

BRENTFORD 4 LIVERPOOL 3

This is the stuff of dream, but only for a few seconds, as it was a clear offside and the goal was disallowed.

BRENTFORD 3 LIVERPOOL 3

The commentator said it and I have to agree with the comment.

"THIS IS THE MATCH OF THE SEASON" and I will add "SO FAR" as I expect more from my boys in Red and White. I expected the win at Arsenal and I expect a lot more this season. There is something very right about Brentford.

I cannot remember the rest of the evening as my wife turned on to some dancers and I kept buzzing and looking for You Tube replays of what I had just watched.


No comments:

Post a Comment