Sunday 18 August 2019

Results - The Morning After

We will start at the top, i.e. the highest level, which following my research this morning is Level 12.

Higher levels are not online just yet and may appear as the week draws on.


Level 12 = Devon & Exeter League Premier : Cronies 2 Whipton & Pinhoe 1

The report suggests that Cronies are going to be one of the stronger teams this season.


Level 11 = Devon County League North & East : Newtown 5 Liverton United 1

It seems that my local team suffered a bit of a thrashing on the opening day of the season. Should I get my old boots out of the attic?


Level 10 = South West Peninsula League East : Elmore 1 Cullompton Rangers 1

The second one all draw in two weeks suggests a solid defence but sufficient in attack to score.


Level 9 = Western League Premier Division : Bitton 0 Exmouth 1

Exmouth Town are playing well and could well be the team to follow up through the leagues. The town itself is large enough to support a team higher up the pyramid but the team needs to keep producing these results. I do love the name of their main striker though, ... "Ace High".


Level 8 = Southern League Division One South : Basingstoke Town 3 Barnstaple Town 4

I find this hard to believe and the way the scorers were listed it could well be the other way round in that Barnstaple may have lost 4-3 which would make more sense given their dismal recent history. We will see as other sites update their results on Monday and Tuesday.


Level 7 = Southern League Premier South : Walton Casuals 1 Tiverton Town 3

A good result for my team at this level. I must make a determined effort to watch them early on this season. I cannot shun Tiverton forever in spite of the rumours about three eyes and six toes.


Level 6 = National League South : Weymouth 3 Dartford 1

The newest addition to my team list started the season well with a win. It is also a departure for me to support a team that play in light blue. I had always previously associated the colour with losers like the old Manchester City and Coventry City. Now, though, Manchester City are top of the tree and the colour can no longer be associated with defeated teams.


Level 5 = National League : Dover Athletic 1 Torquay United 2

A good away win for a team that were promoted last season and should carry that confidence for the early part of the new season. The National League is a tough ask, though, so I do not expect miracles.


Level 4 = League Two : Exeter City 1 Swindon Town 1

I am fairly confident that Swindon is bigger than Exeter so it must be the presence of a Cathedral that gives Exeter the superior nomination. The football result is one of those "Meh" scores that satisfy neither team but neither is it a disaster. We were expected to win because we were the home team but I am not sure how much of an advantage that is in these days of easier travel.


Level 3 = League One : Lincoln City 4 Southend United 0

I fully expected Danny Cowley to organise his team in such a way as to take advantage of all Southend's weaknesses. It seems that he did get things right and we will have to make the most of matches against teams with weaker management.


Level 2 = Championship : Brentford 1 Hull City 1

There seems to be some magic missing with the loss of Neal Maupay. I must get into their website and see who they have brought in to replace him. This is a slow start but the heading is definitely mid table rather than top or bottom.


Level 1 = Premier League : Arsenal 2 Burnley 1

I watched this match on BT Sports and I am very pleased to see Danny Ceballos running the match. Banger Yang scored the winner after Lacky Zett turned and scored whilst surrounded by four Burnley defenders and a goalkeeper with open legs. Sean Dyche looked suitably frustrated after keeping his 100% losing record against us. During the match my mate played me a Bob Mortimer sketch taking the mick out of the Dyche gravelly voice called "The Burnley Way". It is not brilliant but well worth a listen ... which reminds me I need to check Sean Dyche's playing history.

CHECKING

.....

I found Nottingham Forest on his C.V. but I could find no mention of Kettering ... listen to "The Burnley Way" by Bob Mortimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment