Wednesday 14 August 2019

Level 6 Selection = Weymouth (National League South)

Weston-super-Mare have been my choice at this level for so long now that I have to make a selection to replace one of my staple clubs. Weston were relegated to the Southern League so I have looked to the table for inspiration.

I remember playing cricket at Billericay and Braintree, and I enjoyed watching Ice Hockey at the Ice Rink in Chelmsford. Bath was always a favourite as our cricket club had its tour their and we stayed in a hotel with a swimming pool. Happy days. Concord Rangers is a club that had Danny Cowley as a manager. Dulwich is where I played some cricket for my London team. Eastbourne is down the road from my mother's place. Slough Town are out because my uncle and cousin support them. Wealdstone is another place with a nice cricket ground (short boundary for a late cut through the slips).

Geography has determined my choice. The nearest club are Weymouth so I hope to get to a couple of fixtures as the season draws on.

The strip is Light Blue so that bring some variety. The club website is excellent and has a full list of friendly fixtures. The club has started with a Norwich City set of results. No red, just yellow and green. Three wins against Hamworthy United, Portland United and Wimborne Town were followed by a 2-2 draw at home to Southend United. I would have been there but that was our moving day and I was overstretched.

Two more friendlies saw wins over Poole Town and Gosport Borough, then the real action started.

Maidstone United suffered home defeat on the opening day with Weymouth winning 2-1. Bath City earned a draw as Weymouth could only manage 1-1 at home. Chelmsford City went down to a 4-1 defeat on their visit to the west country and Slough Town managed a 1-1 draw when Weymouth visited them. This is a good start to the season and I will enjoy following my new found club.

No comments:

Post a Comment