Friday 16 August 2019

Level 11 Selection = Liverton United (Devon County League North & East Division)

The life of a blogger ... I lose the internet for a month and they go and start a whole new league without telling me. The South West Peninsula League has been reduced to a single level (Level 10) with two divisions, one in the West for Cornwall and one in the East for Devon although teams may cross the border if numbers demand it.

Previously the subsidiary divisions in that league were level 11 and therefore entitled to enter the F.A.Cup although most adventures are short lived for teams at the bottom of the pyramid. I always thought it was unfair that because we had a regional league stretching down to level 11 no county or area leagues were allowed to enter because we had a regional league. Other areas of the country stopped at level 10 allowing many county teams to enter.

The change during this summer is that the Devon County League has reformed. It existed in the past but merged with the South West Peninsula League in what I saw as a perfect bridge between amateur and professional football. I know the rules are blurred now and there is no clear distinction but in theory the South West Peninsula League is the lowest professional league and the Devon County League is now the highest amateur league.

I moved to Liverton this summer so I feel that I should support my local team. I can walk to the ground taking my life in my hands as there are no footpaths and no pavement and we heard the shouting last week from our garden so we know there is a level of support beyond the minimum.

Liverton are in the North & East Division and the only other division is the South & West Division. This means, I assume, that each of these divisions supplies a team to the East Division of the South West Peninsula League at the end of the season. We shall see as nowhere online can I see this stated explicitly.

I hope that the local Football Authorities are happy with this. I was not happy when I saw that the F.A. has insisted on destroying my favourite league but I am a little happier with the Devon County League sitting just below it. Effectively I have four divisions to follow instead of the previous three.

It took a while to find the fixtures for Liverton United and I have still not got a complete list. My daughter found a list that takes me through to February and if they print a program I can pick up the full list on my first visit to watch my local team.

This season could turn out to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment