Saturday 15 August 2015

5 = Torquay United

Living in Exeter I am expected to hate our local rivals Torquay United and Plymouth Argyle but as I was not born here I have not grown up with the youth culture of "us and them". Torquay has always had a problem for me and that is the road to get there is always jam packed and slow. A little village known as Kingskerswell is a bottle neck on the route and I have always praised it as a good way to keep the people of Torquay down there in the British Riviera.

The authorities in their wisdom have at long last started to build a new road which should shorten journey times and once it is built I shall go and watch a Conference National game. BT Sport have promoted this level of the sport and I have enjoyed watching the highest level of non league football.

I spoke to a diehard fan about their match against F.C.United of Manchester last season and I love to follow teams that are coming up through the ranks. I should blog about some of them another time but this fan said that FCUM (a team that can be pronounced in a football fan sort of way) are going places and should reach the league before long.

Torquay themselves have the bonus of supporter Helen Chamberlain appearing on national TV in the popular Soccer AM series, but the results are what count so how are they doing?

August 8th = Beat Macclesfield 1-0 at home.

August 11th =  Lost 3-1 away to Wrexham.

Today (August 15th) the club travelled all the way to Halifax Town and won 3-2.

That concludes my early season reports on the non league clubs. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment