Sunday 7 August 2022

Buckland Athletic v. Exmouth Town

 I was there, watching the lads from Buckland take on the lads from Exmouth on a hot sunny day that required a drinks break in each half. As you can see from my selections both of these teams are my picks for the season so I just had to attend with the added attraction that this was an F.A.Cup match.

I arrived to find people parking on the grass verge over the road from the ground so I joined them jolting my front wheel up the kerb. With the car locked we walked up the path to the ground itself and I was greeted with a discussion about cash versus card. They take card now which was a revelation I did not expect so my £20 note went back in the pocket and out came my card to pay for two pensioners at £6 each and a program at £1.50.

We decided that on such a hot day we needed to find some shade and opted for the grandstand on the far side of the ground. I cannot remember that being there the last time I attended this ground.

The match got underway and Exmouth took an early lead. I explained to my wife that they were expected to win as they now play in the level above Buckland. Their passing was slicker and they seemed to have the pace but Buckland weathered the early storm and came back to equalise. This seemed to unsettle the Exmouth boys and they started to chase the game too early in my opinion. Everything became rushed.

There was a great cheer when Buckland took the lead which was deserved based on the balance of play. Exmouth then just rushed everything even more and lost shape, lost control, and eventually lost the match 2-1. A good game but my wife wanted to leave early when the final few minutes turned into a series of fouls, bookings and much invective. Shame about the end but it was a good day out.


No comments:

Post a Comment