Monday 28 December 2020

Bovey Tracey FC Record Score

 So Christmas is over, the plans and preparations resulted in the time we all had, and now we can relax and prepare for the new year and an evening of fireworks and wine. In my case I expect to use both bottles in a saucepan. We have "mulled wine" and "gluhwein" and I expect both to be drunk on the evening of 31st December.

I set a target of clearing out a pile of unread newspapers. I know I should just pick them up and put them in the bin like my sister-in-law would do. She once got hold of "today's paper" from the front doormat and put it straight into the waste bin much to the chagrin of my brother. Her house is remarkably free of any reading materials.

Me, I picked up an old copy of the Teignbridge version of the Mid Devon Advertiser (October 8th) and found a match report for one of the teams I am following. I had not previously read a report of the match that is still the record score for the South West Peninsula League. So here we go .....

A seven goal haul for Sean Finch helped Bovey Tracey get off the mark for the season in a thumping 18-1 victory away at struggling Stoke Gabriel. (What made this all the more remarkable was that Bovey had lost ALL of their friendly and league matches up to this point).

The striker's solo tally shot him straight to the top of this season's goalscoring charts in the Peninsula Premier East with 10 overall.

Jordan Ewing also helped himself to four goals while Andy Davis added a brace, and five other players netted individual efforts.

Stoke Gabriel's single consolation was in fact the first goal they'd managed to score this season.

Bovey's first win of the campaign saw them rise up to 17th in the early season standings.


No comments:

Post a Comment