Sunday 12 May 2013

Chance Meeting

I was sat beside a small bonfire drinking tea (as you do) when I got into conversation with a young man who wanted to talk. After many different subjects had been covered he revealed that he was a footballer who had played for Exeter City, our local Football League Team.

He was one of the many who do not make the grade, at least at the first attempt, so my immediate suggestion was that he join my new found hopefuls "THE ELMORE EAGLES". He revealed that he had tried them but did not think they were very well run. From what I have seen I am inclined to agree. The other problem that Elmore have is that they represent a very small area of a very small town which means that growing the crowd will be nigh on impossible.

We discussed a higher level and Tiverton Town were mentioned but he said that he had also tried there and did not like the atmosphere. I have not watched Tiverton play yet but it is on my list and when I think about that level I will find out for myself. I had to ask who he was playing for and he told me about "Buckland Athletic". That is a team on my radar with greater potential as the population of Newton Abbot could be galvanised if things go well.

Buckland Athletic play in the Premier Division of the Western League which is a level above Elmore so they are much much nearer the top of the Premiership. This means we could get there in nine years instead of the ten that it would take Elmore to get to the top. These boys have to be watched, particularly as I now know one of the players. I actually know two of the players but the other one is not a regular friend although I can identify him by sight.

My plan at the moment is to abandon Elmore to their fate in the South West Peninsula League and head for Buckland at the start of next season. I am now following two teams near the bottom of the Football Association pyramid. I shall probably pick up more as the journey continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment