Friday 14 May 2021

The season approaches the end with COVID on the wane

 The news broadcasters are informing us that COVID is on the wane as a result of the vaccinations arriving and this means that Boris can have his wedding as long as there is no further wave of infections. My fixtures spreadsheet has shrunk to manageable levels now that the EFL (English Football League) has completed. The Premier League and National League are still going with two fixtures each for my two selected teams.

Weymouth have to play Altrincham at home and Notts County away.

Arsenal have to play Crystal Palace away and Brighton & Hove Albion at home.

So, as happens with all fans at this time of year, I have done an analysis of how the league could look after the last game of the season and I have to make judgement calls although I will always edge things in favour of my team.

Weymouth are safe from relegation but with no chance of achieving promotion so I have not analysed them.

Arsenal are in with a very slim chance of European football with a seventh place finish qualifying them for the Europa League. We have to win our last two matches and hope that several other results go in our favour so the odds are still against it, but being a fan I live in hope.

I need to assume that my lads will beat Crystal Palace and Brighton to finish on 61 points.

The clubs above that we can catch are Liverpool, West Ham, Everton and Tottenham.

Liverpool have to play West Brom, Burnley and Crystal Palace so I see them going on to 69 points.

West Ham have to play Brighton, West Brom and Southampton and they may only lose one. 64 points.

So with fifth place and sixth place gone in my analysis we have to overtake both Everton and Spurs.

Everton have to play Sheffield United and Manchester City so that will be one win and one defeat. Their other match is against Wolves at home which could go either way. I will be supporting Wolves. If the wolves do us a favour then Everton will finish on 59 points.

Nothing gives Arsenal fans more pleasure than beating Spurs so my analysis will be hard on them. They have to play Aston Villa at home and Leicester City away so once again I expect one win and one loss. Their third game but the first to be played is at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers and once again we need Wolves to win if we are to get our coveted seventh place.

So with this analysis I am definitely a Wolves supporter in the final run in. Wolves are a capable side but they also blow hot and cold. Go Wolves! Get Arsenal into Europe! I am sure that the club would send some champagne .... actually, as the Kroenkes are as tight as a ducks arse, you may only get a round of applause. Do it anyway.

Now I can look forward to some competitive football with Chelsea taking on Leicester City in the F.A.Cup final on Saturday, Chelsea taking on Barcelona Feminines on Sunday in the Womens Champions League Final. Monday sees my Championship team Brentford taking on Bournemouth in the play-off semi-final. Can Brentford lose again in the play-offs? Several pundits reckon the promoted team will come from the Brentford and Bournemouth semi-final. We shall see. Last season Fulham were second best to Brentford but they got their tactics right and stopped Brentford from playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment