Saturday 22 May 2021

Halfway through an important day

 I woke up this morning with the prospect of so much football that my day will be completely full. First of all I had to attend my birthday breakfast which was organised for the Saturday even though my birthday was during the week.

The full breakfast was the order of the day but as I no longer play football every evening and cricket at weekends I found that it was too much and I passed over my second sausage to a younger man who can still put it all away. Delicious start to the day followed by a brief visit to a playpark for the youngest member of the group.

We got back home in good time and I set up the F.A.Vase Final on computer while watching Brentford v. Bournemouth on the television. I saw Elliott Nevitt score a goal for Warrington Rylands before focussing on my Championship pick Brentford. There were mixed feelings when Bournemouth scored their goal as Brentford were now down 2-0 and I settled for keeping them as my Championship pick. In one sense I have thoroughly enjoyed having both a Premier League side AND a Championship side but as a Brentford supporter I must WANT them to win and take a Premier League place.

In the F.A.Vase Final Elliott Nevitt went on to score a hat-trick including a penalty while Binfield only scored two goals in reply. There was plenty of goal mouth action which I watched mostly via replay. Binfield are in the Hellenic League at the moment but I gather that they have been moved in the big F.A. reorganisation. The North West Counties league won this match as Warrington Rylands took the match.

Warrington Rylands 3 Binfield 2

Brentford got back into the game with a penalty resulting from a handball that was questioned by the commentators. Ivan Toney took his time and very calmly despatched the penalty. With the match even Chris Mepham got himself sent off for preventing a goal scoring opportunity. In all probability Bryan Mbeumo would have missed the chance but the "professional" thing to do was to foul and take the red card.

Vitaly Janelt scored the second goal for Brentford with what looked spectacular but in all probability was a challenge that happened to end up in the back of the net. I yelled out at this point which scared the wife a bit but I think she forgives me for being a football fan.

Having seen Chris Mepham niggling and then being sent off I watched Asmir Begovic behaving like a spoilt child and I started hating Bournemouth with a passion. The emotions of football returned having been absent for a very long time now. I personally was determined that Bournemouth should lose the match particularly as Jack Wilshere was not playing.

Brentford pushed forward hard and could have had several goals before the third one went in with Marcus Forss taking the ball in at the near post. I let out another cheer (and sneer at Begovic) and hoped that my boys could hold out until the final whistle which they did.


The day now continues with my National League team Weymouth taking on Notts County away but on television I have Sunderland against Lincoln City in the League One Playoffs at 15:30, then the F.A.Trophy final between Hereford and Hornchurch at 16:15, and finally the other Championship Playoff Semi-final at 18:30 where Swansea have to build on their 1-0 win away to Barnsley.

My passion has returned after much dull COVID football.

No comments:

Post a Comment