Thursday 20 May 2021

The analysis changes and my hopes are now high

 So how did that analysis work out?

Wolverhampton Wanderers are a complete bunch of failures as they completely let me down.

They lost to Tottenham and they lost to Everton so they get no thanks from me.

Fortunately two other teams stepped up to the mark as Aston Villa beat Spurs and Sheffield United beat Everton so that leaves Everton and Tottenham on 59 points with Arsenal just behind on 58 points.

There is only one game to go and Arsenal have to face Brighton who have just beaten Manchester City.

I hope we can pull out all the stops and win that one to take us on to 61 points.

The good news is that both Tottenham and Everton have tough final fixtures. Everton are away to Manchester City but as Brighton have just beaten City there is no guarantee. I will be supporting City.

Tottenham are away to Leicester. With Liverpool likely to win at home to Crystal Palace, Leicester will need to improve their goal difference massively. I hope Leicester are aware that they will probably have to beat Tottenham 5-0 to have a chance of Champions League football. To be honest I will be happy if the Foxes only win 4-0 but good luck to them. 7-0 or 8-0 is fine by me.

If Liverpool win 1-0, Leicester must win 5-0.

If Liverpool win 2-0, Leicester must win 6-0.

The best chance for Leicester is that Crystal Palace earn a Draw at Anfield.

Leicester City do have the F.A.Cup though and perhaps Europa League football has a better chance of success.

NON LEAGUE FINALS DAY TWO

The really good news for football fans is that no Northern League side is in the F.A.Vase final.

The Northern League has been an anomaly in that they refused to be part of the re-organisation when the triumvirate of leagues resulted in the formation of the Northern Premier League. That should have been the Northern League taking that role but they liked their own small corner of the country and did not want to have to travel more widely. I respect that decision but it means that the Northern League wins the F.A.Vase more often than not.

This season the North West Counties League and the Hellenic League are competing for the F.A.Vase.

Binfield from the Hellenic League are taking on Warrington Rylands from the North West Counties League. I am really looking forward to watching this contest on television.

In the F.A.Trophy there are no teams from the National League. Were they all focussed on their league campaigns so they forgot the cup or are the two teams better than those in the National League?

Hereford from the National League North are taking on Hornchurch from the Isthmian League Premier division. This means that instead of two teams from level 5 competing we have level 6 taking on level 7. My heart has to be with Hornchurch from my old stamping grounds in Essex as they are also the underdogs. Hereford are a phoenix club with a long tradition including successes in the F.A.Cup. They must start as favourites and we shall see whether the favourites or the underdogs take the title.

PLAYOFFS

My Championship lads Brentford lost their first leg semi-final 1-0 so have it all to do at home.

Barnsley lost 1-0 at home to Swansea so I see Swansea taking on the winner of the first semi-final.

I shall certainly watch Brentford v. Bournemouth at 12:30 on Saturday.

In League One Oxford United lost 3-0 at home to Blackpool on Tuesday.

One day later, on Wednesday, Lincoln City beat Sunderland 2-0.

In League Two Newport County beat Forest Green Rovers 2-0.

Tonight Tranmere Rovers take on Morecambe.

WOMEN'S F.A.CUP

The last of the fifth round ties takes place tonight as Chelsea take on Everton. Chelsea have to start as favourites but the 4-0 defeat in the Champions League Final may have taken something out of the Chelsea players.

MY F.A.PYRAMID

Now is one of my favourite times of season as I have to choose my selections for the new season. My choices cannot be made until I know whether Brentford will be promoted to the Premier League as if they stay in the Championship I can continue my love for both Arsenal AND Brentford. If Brentford break their voodoo and get promoted then either I have to compromise my principle of one team from every level or I have to choose between Arsenal and Brentford.

Up until what seems to be a last minute reprieve for Arsenal I was set to drop my long time favourite team and follow Brentford but if my Arsenal boys qualify for the Europa League then I cannot just drop them from my list.

Choices! Choices!


No comments:

Post a Comment