Saturday 1 September 2018

Saturday Morning - September 1st

Good morning to all you football and pyramid fans.

My Premier League team Arsenal are playing away. I do not know about the personal lives of the players but the team are going to Wales to take on a Cardiff team managed by Neil Warnock. I expect them to be well drilled and pragmatic when it comes to attack. What we really need is an early goal that will mean they have to come at us. If they do I can see us scoring more goals and gaining confidence. Start the match well lads and I see good things coming your way.

Brentford take on Nottingham Forest fresh from their victory over Newcastle United. While I have a favourite memory of Newcastle, that being the time they beat Tottenham Hotspur 5-1 when they were a hairs breadth from finishing above Arsenal, I have no favourite memory of Brentford although I have seen some good footage over the years. I think this makes Brentford a practical team rather than exciting and flambouyant. At this point in the season Brentford are 8th which is a lucky number in China whilst Nottingham Forest are 13th which is unlucky wherever you go. If it is luck that counts we have already won this one.

Southend United are at home to Charlton Athletic. I remember from my time there that this is almost a local derby. It was when I visited Charlton that I was shocked to find how short Brian Moore (TV sports presenter) was when he walked past me to climb into the gantry that had been constructed for the commentators half way up the big bank. Southend are 11th whilst Charlton are 14th and this is close enough for the game to be called an even contest with a slight edge for Southend. I will be very interested in this score.

Exeter City are at home to Lincoln and I still have half a mind to go and watch this one LIVE but value for money is taking a much greater part of my life and my last three trips to Saint James Park have left me feeling short changed so I might look further down the pyramid for a match to watch. Value for money is much greater there.

Eastleigh are away to Harrogate Town and I had a chance to watch Harrogate when they appeared on TV last Monday against AFC Fylde. That match finished 0-0 so I expect Eastleigh to have a problem scoring. Harrogate are 4th in the league with Eastleigh 16th so I am fully expecting a home win and further punishment for Eastleigh. I did find a video that was not a VLOG this week though. Things are on the up.

Weston-super-Mare are offering a deal today. Pay whatever you want with a minimum price of £1. I hope this leads to a large crowd for them as they take on Eastbourne Borough. Eastbourne are 6th in the table while Weston are the strongest team in the league because they are holding up all of the other teams. This match has appeal to me and I may make the effort to drive an hour and a half up the motorway but I would have to overcome the inertia that keeps me on the sofa with my laptop following everything rather than just a single match.

Tiverton Town are away at Beaconsfield Town and having been knocked off the top of the league last week need to return to winning ways to keep their hopes of rising into the "big six" leagues (actually 7 with a North and South version of the sixth tier). Just to make this page a little more interesting I will post a photo from last Monday's match.



Barnstaple Town are at home to Highworth Town and that match is only about an hour away. Another opportunity to overcome inertia but I have to keep the Mrs sweet (she is working today) so unless I get the hoovering and washing up done quickly I will be tied to the house for the afternoon. Highworth Town are 12th in the league with Barnstaple on ZERO points in 19th place only because of goal difference.

The Buckland Athletic website tells me that the next match is away at Ivybridge Town on 18th September. That seems like a long time without football. Buckland currently sit in 16th place but by not having any fixtures they can only go down as other teams gain points. ..... Aha! I just checked and it is F.A.Vase day today. Let me check my spreadsheet. No sign of Buckland there but I have found a fixture listed on the Western League site. According to the Western League Buckland are away at Willand Rovers. I shall see later if that match takes place.

The F.A.Vase spreadsheet informs me that Exmouth Town are at home to Callington Town. I think if I go anywhere this is the one. I can catch the train from my local station and get off at the Exmouth terminus which is a short walk from the ground. Is today the day? I will tell you once the day is over and I am checking the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment