Saturday 22 September 2018

Football this week

Arsenal started their Europa Cup campaign this week.

Arsenal 4 Vorksla Poltava 2

This seems to be the same old Arsenal with strong attacking skills but clear weaknesses in defence.

Brentford travelled to Ipswich Town in the week that Kevin Beattie went over to the other side.

Ipswich 1 Brentford 1

Neal Maupay is making a name for himself and I heard this week that he is the top scorer in all four leagues.

There appears to be no video of the Eastleigh match but it might be the wisest thing not to publicise the result of the Hampshire Senior Cup match against AFC Bournemouth. The match ended in an 8-1 defeat. Premier League v. National League seems to be no contest and I am not surprised as the experts are now saying that the Premier League is the best in the world.

This weekend my level 10 and 11 selections are taking each other on in the South West Peninsula League Cup. I intend to go but I still have the last vestiges of flu and it is a cold wet day here in Devon. Elmore v. Exmouth could be my match of the day.

Buckland are away to Cribbs and this could be interesting as the new manager makes his changes.

Barnstaple are at home to Slimbridge and they do need to start putting some points on the board.

Tiverton are at home to Dorchester Town in the F.A.Cup and that could have been a good match to watch.

Weston-super-Mare have no fixture according to my list but my list may have been overtaken with a last minute fixture.

Eastleigh are at home to Dagenham & Redbridge so I hope they produce a good performance and get the result they need.

Exeter are at home to Cheltenham Town.

Southend are at home to Fleetwood Town.

Brentford are away to Derby County and I expect that to be a good test but Brentford are performing well.

Arsenal are at home to Everton and it is a fixture I have been able to watch a few times over the years as it one that Red Members (the lowest of the low) are allowed to get tickets for. Everton usually park the bus and wait for Arsenal to break them down which happens most of the time. This fixture is the one where Robin van Persie took the ball over his right shoulder and volleyeed the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net with his left foot. As I remember it was the only highlight in a really dull match.

It was so good I think we should all watch it again.

Robin van Persie

No comments:

Post a Comment