Wednesday 16 September 2015

Worthing v. Thamesmead Town

While visiting mother this last weekend I had the chance to watch a Ryman South team in action.

The match was an F.A.Cup Qualifier and Worthing were taking on Thamesmead Town from the Ryman North. The quality of the football was a jump up from my previous live experiences as you would expect and I was very happy with the value for money as I paid £8 each for my wife and I.

Following on from my last post and looking at the head of this blog I must give a shout out for one of the young Worthing players. BEN POPE danced through the Thamesmead defence for his first very well taken goal then added to it with a perfectly taken free kick around the wall.

My wife was first to notice that we had arrived at a stadium using the latest artificial 3G surface. She was fascinated and got closer than me. She described it as little lumps of rubber. I noticed that the ball was bouncing higher than on a conventional pitch and although it is the same for both teams I am sure the home team gains an advantage by understanding the bounce.

There was a strong wind from left to right as I watched from the grandstand but all the goals were scored kicking into the wind. Worthing took the two goal lead thanks to young BEN POPE. The match had plenty in it but it then settled down to what looked like a comfortable win until .........

The announcer stated that as the match had a definite result there would be a league match on Tuesday. Thamesmead took that as an invitation to score their goal and although the 90 minutes were up we all know that teams can score in injury time. The announcer told Thamesmead that they had two more minutes.

It got better as the next announcement was that the opponents on Tuesday were Dorking and as they were drawing in the cup there may not be a match on Tuesday. This was followed by another quote that they had in fact scored and the match on Tuesday was back on.

I know that teams at this level need support but that set of announcements did get me chuckling and thinking that a single announcement after the match would be better.

As it happens some friends of mine went to the match on the Tuesday and it was abandoned due to floodlight failure.

A good experience, particularly the two cups of tea at £1 a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment