Wednesday 2 September 2015

12 = Exwick Villa 2nds

Having enjoyed the lads night out at Exwick Villa before my summer holiday I returned determined to watch some more. My internet browsing revealed that there was a match at the same ground because the Exwick Villa 2nd team were playing against another local team, Heavitree United.

I had paid £3-50 for the chance to watch the first team, but that was in the semi-professional South West Peninsula League. This match in the Premier Division of the Devon & Exeter League was free so I was able to amble in and settle on the boundary with a friendly chap who was approaching the end of his playing days. We both enjoyed a competitive and entertaining match and commented about the changes over the years. Some fouls given in this game would not have been fouls 20 years ago.

Heavitree United took the lead and we were deep in conversation when Exwick Villa equalised. I saw Heavitree taking a kick off from the centre spot and drew the only possible conclusion but with these live matches there are no action replays to find out what happened. If you miss it you miss it and we both missed it. The match stayed level until half time and we agreed that Heavitree had the best of it.

The second half livened up a bit and I felt that Exwick were more determined to win as several players in dark blue (Heavitree) hit the ground and rolled around a lot. The referee did have the option and we formed opinions about which late tackles deserved a booking and which hard challenges should have been punished with no more than a free kick. The match was becoming great entertainment.

I suppose that the high point has to be near the end. Time was ticking away and my friend for the night suggested that Exwick had missed their last chance. I thought from what I had seen that Exwick were getting stronger as the match wore on and could get one or perhaps two more chances. They used up both of those and then just to prove us both wrong scored with a lob over the keeper.

The last minute or two was played up the far end of the pitch with 21 players in the box and one taking the corner. Confusion reigned as the referee ran over to the linesman as the corner was taken and in that confusion the match ended.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable match with a great finish and tremendous value for money. I paid two pounds for a couple of strips in the 50-50 draw. I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment