Saturday 5 September 2015

Saturday 5th September

Time for my blog. The TV just magically switched from the football analysis to "Strictly Come Dancing" so I guess the wife has been at the controls while I was not watching. England have just beaten San Marino 6-0. This was a chance for San Marino to learn and a chance for us to try and score as many goals as possible. I have to be impressed that Theo Walcott scored a couple of goals but I cannot say the match gripped me at all.

This has been a busy day as my daughter just completed her maiden skydive in tandem with a chap who held a wrist camera to capture all the photographs. The company did well out of me as they got an extra £50 to take her up to 15,000 feet and when we saw the photographs my daughter simply had to have them costing me an extra £99. It is good to see her so happy though so I am convinced it was worth it.

Now I can settle down a bit and check up on all my pyramid teams. I have recorded Southend United who were on television at lunchtime. I may get the chance to watch them tomorrow morning but I heard the result on the radio as we were returning from Dunkeswell and they won 2-1. Listen to my language as I am aware that using the words we and us means you are a true dedicated fan but I am using the words they and them making me no more than an observer which is true.

Arsenal and Brentford have no matches as this is an international weekend and Premier League fans hate these weekends without "real football". The internationals are no longer a national obsession and as a result they pass many people by. This is a chance for my injured Arsenal players to recover a bit and I hope they make the most of the opportunity.

The best news for me this weekend is that my bottom of the table team Weston-super-Mare in the Conference South have won for the first time this season. This was 1-0 away from home at a place called Bishop's Stortford. Are they rubbish or did my pick simply have the luck of the chances taking the one needed to score the only goal?

The guys at work are going to be happy on Monday as Exeter beat Leyton Orient 4-0. The report on the radio suggested that Exeter were not worth that margin of victory but we all know that it is the result that counts not the performance. I know that most painfully as I am an Arsenal supporter.

Torquay United have not been producing good results recently so my expectations have been dropping and as they are one of the most hated teams in my office (local rivals) I am not sure that a positive 1-1 draw at home against Guiseley will go down well.

After recent weeks with poor performances from my league selections you will notice that all the above has been positive, including Torquay changing from defeats to a draw. I now look down at the Southern League results and see that Bideford lost 2-1 at home to Hungerford Town. The draw on bank holiday Monday was a blip in a series of defeats. Do I really want to go and watch them live?

Tiverton Town have been producing positive results. The latest defeat was in the F.A.Cup. Beating Swindon Supermarine 2-1 at home should put "us" in a good position in the table ... checking ... this result should be enough to put us in the playoff places depending on other results.

My Western League pick Barnstaple travelled to Bristol Manor Farm and earned a point in a 2-2 draw. That result keeps my team just behind the leaders and in touch such that a couple of wins can put us in contention.

I have saved the best till last. Exmouth Town travelled to Saltash United in a clearly Devon v. Cornwall clash. Looking at the result I see that the score was 3-3 at the end of normal time. You already know from my language at the start of this paragraph that my boys Exmouth scored the winner in extra time to win 4-3.

For the ladies, who should not be reading this blog, they are still announcing the pairings in Strictly Come Dancing. I think I will go and put the kettle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment