Tuesday 3 September 2019

August is Over

Before I talk about the weekend let us look ahead to tonight.

Southend United are away at Leyton Orient in what used to be called the Checkatrade Trophy but must now be known as the Leasing Dot Com Trophy. I give us no chance at all.

Exeter City are at home to Cheltenham Town and being league leaders in League Two must give my selection a good chance of winning this one. I live in hope.

Torquay are away to Woking in the National League and I was going to talk us up but Woking are top of the table having won seven of their eight games so far. I foresee another home win.

Weymouth who are currently in the last of the play off places travel to Oxford City who are closer to the bottom of the table than the top so I think this presents the most even contest of all tonight's matches.

Finally, Barnstaple travel to Cinderford Town in the Southern League Division One South and incredibly Cinderford are below Barnstaple in the table. Dare I predict a win? No!

So ... on to the past weekend.

Arsenal continue to show defensive frailties. Granit Xhaka has decided to take over from Mustaffi by sliding in and giving away an easy penalty. Harry Kane despatched it with ease and from that point on we had to recover the situation. Gaining a point against a side as good as Pochettino's is no simple task so I have to be content with a point. Lacazette scored a beauty and Aubameyang provided a deft touch to give us our two goals. Not paying for Sky TV puts me at a disadvantage but there are plenty of live streams on the internet which provide coverage. The added advantage is that I am notified by text that a goal is coming before I get to see the action.

Brentford got going at last with a 3-0 win over Derby County. Two goals were provided by Ollie Watkins and the other one came from Bryan Mbeumo. The season starts here!

Southend United continued their 100% record by losing at home to Rochdale. If they are not careful I will have to drop them from my selections in favour of a better League One team.

Exeter City took on Mansfield Town (we win on team name ... city beats town) and Ryan Bowman scored after 5 minutes. This proved to be the only goal of the game.

Torquay took on Hartlepool in the battle of the Uniteds. Jamie Reid scored for Torquay but it was not sufficient and Hartlepool won the match by two goal to one.

Weymouth travelled to Tonbridge Angels in the National League South and came away with a 1-1 draw. Brett Williams scored shortly after half time but Weymouth could not hold on to that lead.

Tiverton were at home to Salisbury in the Southern League South and these teams played a thriller of a 3-3 draw. All the goals came from midfield with Jordan Bastin, Steve Colwell and Michael Landricombe scoring for Tiverton.

Barnstaple were at home to AFC Totton and perhaps I should have followed my whim when I thought about making this week my first visit to the far north (of Devon). Jack Langford scored the only goal of the game in this one.

Exmouth Town were competing in the F.A.Vase and this is a competition where level nine teams can do very well. The F.A. is finally forcing the Northern League teams to accept promotion but they are still far more likely to win because of the history of the Football Pyramid. Exmouth beat Brislington 3-2 and march on to the next round.

Incidentally ... I plan to watch the F.A.Cup replay at Southern Road when Yate Town come to town.

Elmore travelled to Brixham in the South West Peninsula League East but came away with a 2-1 defeat. At least this match was completed though.

Liverton took on Alphington in the Devon League. I figured this would make a pleasant afternoon watching my local team compete against a team from a small area of Exeter. When we went 3-0 down all my hopes had dried up. I got talking to two committee members and there are serious problems at Liverton. Alphington eventually won 8-1. This is a new low for my home team.

There were mixed results in the local league including a match abandoned because of stones in the goalmouth but that does not concern you.

Roll on the winter. When the wind and rain come I can hide at home and watch through the marvelous medium of the internet.



No comments:

Post a Comment