Sunday 11 October 2015

Grand Western Canal

So on non league day I chose to spend my time with friends and family on a horse drawn barge starting from Tiverton and ending in the middle of nowhere with the view of an aqueduct that allows tractors to traverse the water course via a short tunnel. I have photographs.

I did think about the F.A.Cup several times but you know how it is, family and friends sometimes have to take precedence. So how did my teams to this week?

Southend United beat Crawley 3-0 in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Exeter took on local rivals Plymouth Argyle in the same trophy and lost 2-0. So Southend march on and Exeter march out.

Torquay entertained Dover and chose to lose 3-2. My choice for the Conference South next season may have to change from those Seagulls that I have yet to go and watch live.

The Seagulls went away to Wingate & Finchley in the F.A.Cup third qualifying round and managed a 3-1 victory. It was expected as the opponents are an Isthmian League team. Weston-super-Mare can now look forward to the fourth qualifying round when victory may see them up against Football League opposition.

Bideford managed a 1-1 home draw with Stratford Town but when you are in a relegation battle every point is gratefully accepted.

Tiverton Town performed one better by managing a 2-2 draw away at AFC Totton.

 Barnstaple lost 2-0 in midweek to Buckland Athletic but when I check the competition it is only in the Devon St. Luke's Bowl which really does not concern me much. The good news is that the defeat seems to have produced a reaction as my Barnstaple boys travelled to Welton Rovers and thrashed them 7-0. It is a small but gratifying high point in this week's blog.

Exmouth Town who started the season so brightly seem to be struggling at the moment. In midweek the team travelled to Plymouth Parkway and lost 4-2. Yesterday the lads travelled to Tavistock and lost 5-1. I cannot blame them as Tavistock is beyond the back of beyond. They still burn peat there.

I have to report that although I have now covered all of my top ten picks, my number eleven choice, Exwick Villa, who I have watched live managed to beat Tiverton Town Reserves 9-0 in the cup. I have no idea what cup but it would have been a good day to support them once again.

And ..... to end things for today ..... I have just watched Exeter City on television and the TV voodoo seems to have struck again but not so vehemently as a 3-3 draw at home to Stevenage was achieved.

I have matches listed for Torquay, Tiverton, Barnstaple and Exmouth listed for midweek. It is about time I visited the home of Exmouth Town.







No comments:

Post a Comment