Tuesday 1 September 2020

New Pyramid Released

 I have just released my pyramid for the new season.


Obviously with no matches having been played it is in alphabetical order for each league. With the loss of AFC Bournemouth from the Premier League my beloved Arsenal are back in first place before the season starts. We can only go downhill from here.


Brentford, having had a very good season in 2019-20 start the season at number 25 in the pyramid, and my new pick for league one, Plymouth, begin the season at position 62. Exeter City are at 77 and I have heard whispers that many players have been "allowed to leave" the club. I think this is a euphemism for cutting the wage bill so I am not expecting to see us challenging for honours this season.


Weymouth are my new pick for the National League, but this is merely a continuation of me following them up from the National League South. The void in the National League South is now taken by Bath City and I have a whole lot of learning to do there. I must take the Mrs shopping in Bath but I have to make sure my credit card can take it before I watch a home game with Bath City at the centre. Alphabetically, with Weymouth near the bottom and Bath at the top, another first place to start the season, their pyramid positions are close to start with. Weymouth are at 113 and Bath are at 117.


The Southern League picks are two old favourites, neither of which have been visited although they are now long standing in my pyramid. Once again with Tiverton near the bottom alphabetically and Barnstaple near the top the pyramid positions are not far apart. Tiverton are at 153 with Barnstaple starting the season on 160. I expect Barum (Barnstaple) to drop like a stone as they should have been relegated for the last two seasons but escaped by the skin of their teeth both times.


In the Western League I am still following Exmouth Town which I perceive as a well run and friendly club. I hope to get to watch Ace High and his team many times this season. I have even started to learn the names of some of the squad. You might get a mention if you perform well this year. The team starts the season at 189.


Bovey Tracey are the new boys to my blog but I did watch them a couple of times last season. The bar was friendly and the grandstand provided a good seating position. This is the smallest grandstand I have been in that still had seats. All the smaller ones (and I have been in a few) had no room for seating. Bovey start the season at number 201. We are now into the 200s.


The last of my pyramid picks is my local village, Liverton United, who start the season at number 229. There has been a revival at the club as there is now a reserve team as well as the first team and a ladies team has started up at the club to boot. I watched two early friendlies but then the government banned spectators from all football matches in the way that the Tories do. "We had a problem at one ground so we are damn well going to stop all fans at all football matches!" You know, the subtle approach. Boris decided so the world has to descend to his level of incompetence. I have not rushed back but I do want to go and see some live football at some point.


The remaining teams do not really form part of this blog so I may or may not mention them as each week passes. It depends on whether I have the time to investigate their results or simply write down the numbers. I have chosen (purely on the basis of which teams are nearest) Buckfastleigh Rangers who appear at number 239, Ashburton Association who feature at number 253, Ilsington Villa who are on the way to Haytor and each time I pass the sign I want to divert and check out their playing fields. They are starting the season in position 273. Finally Liverton United 2nd team who start at 286 only eight places above the bottom of my pyramid which ends at 294. In their first season any place on or above 293 will be a good result.


Roll on the new season, I want to see some numbers other than ZERO in the tables. I have got all the web references stored so it is simply a matter of copy and paste from now on.


No comments:

Post a Comment