Sunday 6 September 2020

Football STARTS AGAIN

 We have already seen the start of the F.A.Cup with the Extra Preliminary Round taking place this past week. I Love the F.A. tournaments but the bread and butter of the game is/are the league matches (delete is or are according to your taste in subjects and objects). Several leagues started on Saturday but there are many leagues that are holding out until October.


Arsenal and Brentford start their league campaigns next week but Brentford had a Carabao Cup match today in which they took the lead through Ethan Pinnock but allowed it to slip. The 1-1 draw meant that penalties decided the tie in which Wycombe did not disgrace themselves. As is quite common due to the higher standard of player the senior team won the match, Brentford came out as 4-2 winners in the shootout. A good start for my set of selections.


Brentford 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1 (Brentford win 4-2 on penalties)


Plymouth Argyle played their Carabao Cup tie on Saturday. Queens Park Rangers visited Home Park and made the game an entertaining one scoring two goals to Plymouth's three. The goals came from Joe Edwards in the 32nd minute to equalise an early QPR goal, Danny Mayor in the 55th minute which was quickly followed by a QPR equaliser, and Frank Nouble in the 78th minute which proved to be the winner.


Plymouth Argyle 3 Queens Park Rangers 2


Exeter City were also competing in the Carabao Cup and travelled to Bristol City for their tie. Finances are such that Exeter fielded five academy players in the starting lineup and had nine out in total when you look at the substitutes bench. Is that sustainable? The result went the way of Bristol City who won 2-0 at Ashton Gate and I hope this Exeter result is not a sign of things to come. Roll on the next match.


Bristol City 2 Exeter City 0


The National League does not get underway until October with the fixtures coming out at lunchtime on Tuesday, so Weymouth were playing a friendly match at the weekend. The information becomes harder to find the further down the pyramid that you venture but Weymouth seem to have pretty good coverage and you can watch highlights of the match on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bK0jZR2Lxk


Now you have watched the match I can reveal that the goalscorers were Alefe Santos, Cody Cooke and Calvin Brookes. This is information that I might not have been able to bring you last season but I am now recording more information than ever before in order to provide a service to my fan. I have a good feeling about Weymouth although I know nothing about their new manager, Brian Stock, who will be taking the team through their newly elevated status following back to back promotions. Mark Molesley has moved to Southend so I will keep an eye on whether it is the manager or the players that are making things difficult at Roots Hall.


Weymouth 3 Havant & Waterlooville 1


Bath is the team that I have the most to learn about. In midweek they travelled to Salisbury and came away with a 1-1 draw. On Saturday they travelled to Weston-super-Mare on the coast and I used to have the seagulls as part of my selection so I was keen to see what the outcome would be. I have no idea who scored.


Weston-super-Mare 0 Bath City 0


Tiverton have had many pre-season friendlies already so what is one more. Bideford were the visitors in this one and were clearly too much for the Tiverton team that took to the field. I intend to check who was in the side but at the present time I only know the result.


Tiverton Town 0 Bideford 3


Levels 8 and 9 had no matches as far as I can ascertain. I cannot guarantee that as some fixtures only appear online after they have been played but I do not think I have missed anything.


Bovey Tracey played their first match in the South West Peninsula league and lost it. Their fixture list is all red (defeats) on my spreadsheet.


Bovey Tracey 1 Crediton United 2


Liverton opened their league campaign with defeat as well. The visitors were Exwick Villa, a team I used to watch before I moved and I had intended to watch this match as well but real life sometimes takes over and I let it.


Liverton United 0 Exwick Villa 1


That concludes the results from the opening league weekend of the NEW SEASON.


No comments:

Post a Comment