Saturday 25 August 2018

Tables start to take shape

WIth the third match of the Premier League season about to take place it will no longer be possible to say "We should not be where we are in the league". West Ham bought well in the summer but the new players have not yet melded into the team. As it happens I am going to a barbecue this afternoon and often my elsewhereness has resulted in poor results for Arsenal. I was at a family wedding when Manchester United beat us 8-2 and I spoke to a friend who was seriously embarrassed in the pub where he watched THAT game.

I still expect us to finish in the top six with hopes for the top four but it will not surprise me if we lost to West Ham. We managed to stay above the relegation places last week as we only lost 2-0 to Manchester City. That result may prove to be one of the better performances against a team expected to walk the league once again.

Brentford travel to Blackburn Rovers this afternoon and their website tells me that the match will kick off in precisely 4 hours and 58 minutes. Sadly, that is not enough time for me to get to Blackburn but I had no intention of going anyway.

When I check the Southend United site it tells me that the next match starts in 7 days, 4 hours and 56 minutes. You have to dig a little deeper to find out that today's match is against Bristol Rovers away. That match is easily within reach but as I said earlier I am off to a barbecue this afternoon.

Exeter have got it right like Brentford with the match against Milton Keynes Dons being listed as 4 hours and 53 minutes away. Now if you are clever you can work out how long it is taking me to put this piece of literary detritus together. The other thing quickly discernable from this website is that the Carabao cup continues on Tuesday.

Moving from the league clubs to the non league clubs I arrive at the Eastleigh website and here I have to pick the correct season before they show me the fixtures. I wonder how many people want to know what the fixtures were last season or the season before. Eastleigh are away at Dover Athletic and from what I read they are a good side that punch above their weight. Tough test.

Weston-super-Mare are at home to Oxford City. A couple of promotions and they could be taking on their city rivals United (one relegation season). I still like the online presence of Weston although I almost switched them for Torquay United this season. Torquay will be much more attractive if they build the new stadium assuming adequate car parking is attached.

Tiverton Town are top of the Southern League Premier Division South so what could go wrong? As they renamed their stadium last week I am surprised to see that the website still references Ladysmead. That is not a worry today as the team are travelling to Harrow Borough. One old mate of mine used to support them but we have long ago lost touch. That's life.

On the Barnstaple site I have to select the month before I am given the fixtures. I should have checked earlier as this one would have got me intrigued and could have earned my money if I had not been going to the barbecue. Barnstaple Town are at home to Shaftesbury in the Preliminary Round of the F.A.Cup. This is the second of two preliminary rounds before the four qualifying rounds start. It is always a pleasure to watch the little minnows beat better opposition but at this stage of the competition the minnows have to beat the other minnows. Come on Barnstaple! I will watch you in the first qualifying round.

That covers the first eight levels of the English Football Pyramid system.

I watched Buckland Athletic in the F.A.Cup last season but not this year. Their website lists the next fixture as 1st September so I have to presume that they expected to win their extra preliminary F.A.Cup match and wanted to play today in the preliminary round. Football has a way of kicking you when you least need it.

Keying in "Exmouth fixtures" brought up the rugby club first and the cricket club second but I have found the football club now and in future I will use the phrase "Exmouth Town". Today the lads are away to Callington. If I remember rightly that is just over the border where they put the jam on before the cream. Savages! When I click "Read More" it moves me down the same page I am already on without any further information. Some of these clubs could pay for online training.

I expect to check in later in the weekend to provide you with the results. It is at times like this that I realise why football fans follow only ONE club and limit their knowledge to one set of players and fixtures.

No comments:

Post a Comment