Tuesday 14 August 2018

New Season, New Team

The 2018-19 season is now underway. I need to get to know about my new team, Eastleigh. This selection was necessary as my old pick, Torquay, have fallen into the National League South. I could have replaced Weston-super-Mare with Torquay but I do like the online presence of Weston including their neat little video of the teams walking out before each match.

Arsenal have lost their opening encounter against the team expected to walk the premier league by a margin. The second match away to Chelsea is unlikely to prove fruitful either. From being a top team capable of beating anyone we have become part of the second tier behind Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs. We are now competing with Chelsea, Tottenham and perhaps Everton.

Brentford started well with a 5-1 battering of Rotherham and followed that up with a respectable draw away against Stoke City.

Southend United lost at home to Doncaster then earned a draw away at Plymouth.

Exeter City have won both opening matches at home to Carlisle and away to Morecambe. They top the League Two table.

Eastleigh lost their opening encounters against Sutton United and Solihull Moors before beating Barnet away at the weekend.

Weston lost 3-2 at home to St Albans at the weekend after losing 4-1 to Wealdstone in their opening encounter. This means that the only point they have earned was in the 1-1 draw with Truro City.

That covers the top six levels including steps 1 and 2 of the non league game. There have been changes further down that have been imposed (as I understand it) by the F.A. who due to their limited thinking want to impose a 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 system on the country. The way they have chosen to do that is by splitting the Southern League into two Premier Divisions and two subsidiary divisions.

As I can only pick one in MY pyramid I have selected the Southern Premier South as my division. This means that I do not need to change my selection from Tiverton Town who won their opening game away at Swindon Supermarine.

Barnstaple Town beat Ilfracombe Town 2-1 at the weekend but that was not a league match so I think we have to wait a bit longer before the serious battles begin.

Buckland Athletic were in the F.A.Cup at the weekend, losing to Pewsey Vale. For the uninitiated this was in the extra preliminary round which takes place before the preliminary round and that takes place before four separate qualifying rounds and only then do they call it the "First Round" of the F.A.Cup.

Finally, Exmouth Town. I am very impressed with this image that I found on inspecting their site:

http://www.exmouth-townfc.co.uk/first-team-fixtures/

This shows both their 4-1 win against Elburton Villa and their position in the league. Very impressive.

The pyramid does not stop there, however, and at level 11 is another team I am following.

Elmore FC

A 4-1 victory in their opening league match looks like a good omen for the new season.

No comments:

Post a Comment