Sunday 13 October 2019

F.A.Vase Day

I had made a note on my spreadsheet that I would either go and watch Barnstaple in the F.A.Trophy or Exmouth Town in the F.A.Vase. I chose well and took my Mrs to the Exmouth match.

This was a competitive game and some tasty tackles were the order of the first half. Portland United had brought several substitutes and they warmed up by shooting at an empty net while the main team was being briefed in the dressing rooms. Every single shot found the back of the net and some were at good pace. I decided that we did not want to have to take on any of these substitutes.

The first half proved very entertaining and could have gone either way but the Portland main team missed their chances while Exmouth took two in a hotly contested penalty area. The loud cheer that greeted the second goal must have been a boost for the Exmouth players because they gained strength as time went on.

The second half was not so good but that was about game management and I saw a maturity in this team that led to the corner flag near the end of the match. There were still several chances for Portland but they all flew over the bar and some into the field next door.

I checked the other results when I returned home.

Southend managed to lose 4-1 at home to AFC Wimbledon.

Exeter beat Forest Green Rovers 1-0 in the top of the table clash in League Two.

Torquay United travelled to Notts County and went down 2-0.

Weymouth achieved a creditable 2-2 draw away at Dulwich Hamlet.

Tiverton travelled to Wimborne Town and beat them 3-0.

In the match I wisely chose to avoid Barnstaple went down 3-1 at home to Thatcham Town.

The other matches on my list were postponed presumably because of the recent heavy rainfall.

Three of the nine local league matches were also postponed leaving only six to be played. I am afraid that Westexe 2nd team that I would like to see reach the Premier League have a long way to go. They lost 12-1 away to Braunton 3rds.

No comments:

Post a Comment