Thursday 17 October 2019

F.A.Cup & Other Things

I notice that there is a fixture on my spreadsheet with no team attached. The mystery was resolved when I noted that this is an F.A.Cup 4th Qualifying Round match. The rounds before the First Round are very nearly over now.

So, how did the mystery team get to this point in the competition? F.A.Cup spreadsheet time. Oh No! I need to update it. That explains why I have no idea at the moment. ... Hang on people.

Sorry about that delay, although in terms of you reading this I bet you hardly noticed. I now have the full list of matches for the fourth qualifying round and I was going to work back to the very start of the F.A.Cup but in the case of Torquay United they get a BYE to this round and so do their opponents Boreham Wood so it is two National League teams that meet to determine who will make the First Round proper.

The Weymouth path is more interesting although they take on National League side Dover Athletic on saturday. They got to this stage by beating St Albans City in the last round and Sholing in the second qualifying round which is where they started. Sholing beat Bradford Town in the first qualifying round, Hamble Club in the preliminary round and Tadley Calleva in the extra preliminary round.

In the last couple of nights I have had three of my teams playing.

Ilfracombe Town beat Elmore 2-0 in the South West Peninsula League Premier East.

Yate Town won 2-0 when they visited Tiverton Town in a match I was tempted to attend because I saw Exmouth Town beat Yate Town not so long ago.

Exmouth Town themselves won 5-0 in their match against Street. I wanted to be there but felt too tired after a long day out. Too bad, but I hope somebody recorded the goals and will put them on You Tube for me to enjoy.

Tomorrow night two teams with a long history of Friday night matches meet on a Friday night. Southend United who played to avoid clashes with the London teams travel to Tranmere Rovers who play to avoid clashes with Liverpool and Everton.

On saturday Brentford take on Millwall, Exeter are matched with Cambridge United, Tiverton try to recover from their shock defeat with a match against Swindon Supermarine. Do they make boats? Barnstaple are at home to Winchester City, Exmouth away to Keynsham Town and Elmore travel to Ivybridge Town in the South West Peninsula league.

Liverton are away to Witheridge and I can only hope for a score less than double figures against us.

In my local matches only one team are taking a rest so I will have plenty to check up on come Sunday. I have to wait until Monday for my main team to start playing again. Arsenal are up against one of the newcomers, away at Sheffield United.

No comments:

Post a Comment