Saturday 24 November 2018

Saturday Morning Anticipation

Saturday mornings used to be so much more vibrant. As a youngster the anticipation of heading out to see my local football team with expectations of a famous victory that often turned out to be a cold wet disappointment ending in defeat was palpable (stops to look that word up). Ah, so palpable means touchable. I used to touch my anticipation then.

These days with vast experience my expectations are of a cold wet afternoon ending in defeat which is probably why I watch most of my football on television. Fortunately I support Arsenal and I am well aware that we suffer fewer defeats than most meaning that very often on a cold wet depressing typically English day I can often reach a high as my team scores goal after goal or, going back a bit, the one goal needed to win.

So I shall look ahead to the weekend and see what it has in store for me.

Arsenal are away at Bournemouth and whilst in the distant past I may have travelled all the way on the day and purchased a ticket at the gate these days with all ticket matches and not understanding the ins and outs of how best to purchase them I shall sit back and watch the match on Sky Sports. I can choose to watch it on their Main Event channel if I want knowing that it is the most important thing happening on Sky at that point in time. That sorts out Sunday at 13:30.

My Championship choice Brentford are also on television so I can watch my top two picks without leaving the comfort of my living room. Brentford are at home to Middlesbrough and the match will not be easy as Brentford are 15th with Middlesbrough in 3rd. Things have not gone well since Dean Smith left and Brentford have fallen down the table but I hope they can pull together and beat those north easterners well at 17:30 today.

My League One team Southend are playing at 15:00 away to AFC Wimbledon. Back in the day that would have been a short trip into London and back, but I will simply follow this on on the BBC website as each goal is scored.

My League Two team Exeter are travelling to my old local rivals Colchester also at 15:00 and the way to follow them is also to watch the BBC website or the Sky coverage (or even BT) and track the situation as each goal is notched up.

In the National League Eastleigh are at home to Chesterfield and it should be a safe home victory as 9th are taking on 19th in the league. For travelling fans Eastleigh have their Lakeside Railway which probably beats admiring the crooked spire. Here's hoping that the Spireites suffer at the hands or feet of the Spitfires.

Weston-super-Mare are not playing in the league today as they are competing in the F.A.Trophy. We have reached the third qualifying round which is where the National League North and South teams join in. Weston travel to Slough Town who are also in the National League South so it should be an even contest except that Slough are mid table in 13th place while Weston remain firmly secured at the foot of the table. This may be the year that Weston return to the Western League.

Tiverton Town inform me on their website that they are at home to Hartley Wintney. This should result in a win as Tiverton beat Hartley Wintney in an F.A.Trophy replay 5-1. The ground is only half an hour away but I think I will stay and keep my wife company as she waits for her operation.

Barnstaple Town are away to Fleet Town in the Southern League Division One South. Barnstaple, like Weston are firmly planted in the relegation zone but the advantage they have today is that they are taking on the only team that are below them in the table. This has to be a six point match. Barnstaple could lift themselves out of the relegation zone if Mangotsfield United lose.

Buckland Athletic were scheduled to take on Cadbury Heath but the match has been marked as postponed so I will not go chasing that result.

The South West Peninsula League website tells me that Exmouth Town have no fixture today. Exmouth themselves tell me that they are away to Bodmin Town. I will check that result later on today.

Now is the time to settle in and look after the wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment