Sunday 26 June 2016

Congratulations Evesham United

The Euros are well under way and I have enjoyed much of what I have watched. We are now at the stage where both Irish teams have left the competition leaving our hopes in the hands of England and Wales. Meanwhile, the summer machinations of the non league game go on.

Common sense has prevailed. Evesham United appealed against being forced to travel to the far north and won their case. Cinderford Town clearly had their eyes on the Hereford money and Evesham got hold of the rule book for the Southern League.

The rules state that the league champions will be promoted. I have never known it any other way, although ground grading, the mass exodus of playing staff, petty politics and I am sure other things all have their turn in bending the rules to breaking point.

So everything turns back the way it was, and those teams who thought they were affected by the Cinderford "I want the Hereford money" decision are no longer affected. Evesham United are back in the Southern League South & West where they were last year.

The team most affected by Cinderford and who should probably be compensated by them are Stamford of the Northern Premier League who were told that they could stay up and may have recruited on that basis but now they must be relegated as per the original decision.

I told you I should wait until August before setting up my who has transferred to which league spreadsheet. I can handle it though ... poor decision ... lack of backbone ... reversed decision ... poor compromise ... I changed my mind ... the team just upped and left ... experience of the non league game during an average summer. What more surprises are there before we begin again?

No comments:

Post a Comment