Thursday 22 July 2021

Mouldy Serviette

I spotted that the Europa Conference League has started qualifying rounds so I guessed this is a good place to spot new teams that we have never heard of before.

In fact there are plenty of teams that I HAVE HEARD OF before. I have no idea whether the qualifying is regionalised or if the entire European continent may have to be travelled while qualifying. The first match listed is:-

Ararat v. Slask Wroclaw

so I guess the backdrop to the match will be Noah's ark.

The next match I see is

Panevezys v. FK Vojvodina

They are both new to me so quick research is needed ..... FK Panevezys are from Lithuania. The FK stands for Futbolo Klubas. Vojvodina are from Serbia, so I am better off now I know the locations.

Now we go to

FK Qarabag v. Ashdod

I have heard of Qarabag and know they are from Azerbaijan which is almost Asia. Ashdod are new to me and on checking I find that this is an Israeli club so they no longer have my support given the Israeli government's policy of ethnic cleansing.

The next match to hit me is the one that spawned the title of this entry:

Molde v. Servette

Molde are Norwegian and Servette are Swiss. Having visited both countries and found them to be both beautiful and welcoming I would like to watch this match but I doubt it will be possible. It looks like the only coverage is of Olympic football and that is on Eurosport, which I think is separate from SKY and from BT and I do not want to keep paying extra subscriptions just to watch.

There are many more matches listed but the next one to catch my attention is:

IF Elfsborg v. FC Milsami Orhei

This match is Sweden against Moldova and whilst I found Sweden to be as welcoming and beautiful as Norway and Switzerland my sympathies lie with the Moldovans as I know that the orphanages in that country are desperately short of money, as is the entire forgotten country on the edge of Europe.

There are many more matches including some familiar names:

Aberdeen v. BK Hacken

Hibernian v. FC Santa Coloma

Linfield v. Borac Banja Luka

Dundalk v. FCI Levadia

If you want to check the results as they are released during the day you can check the BBC Scores website here:

Europa Qualifying Scores


No comments:

Post a Comment