Saturday 5 August 2017

Buckland Athletic 2 Bodmin Town 3

I made it. After several years of not making it to the first match of the season I made sure my wife had good internet access and set off in my car to watch a football match.

I nearly gave up as the M5 Motorway was at a standstill when I joined it and with less than an hour to go I decided to pull off at the next junction. This allowed me to pass the static vehicles and I noticed movement ahead when I reached the junction so I pulled back onto the Motorway and continued my journey, slowly at first but then back up to normal speed.

When I got to Buckland's ground they were parking in the street so I found a suitable slot and set off into the ground up a shallow incline. There is clearly variable pricing as the cost was marked in chalk on a blackboard section of the entry hut.

For this F.A.Cup tie the entry fee was £7.00 and I paid £1.50 for a program to try and learn the names of some of the players. Somebody asked about crowd numbers and the number 175 was given out as I passed through but there were more people behind me.

Buckland played in all yellow while Bodmin were in all white. Buckland are at Level 9 of the football pyramid (Western League) and Bodmin are at Level 10 (South West Peninsula League) but the opposite appeared to be true as Bodmin played the better football and seemed to be more in control. Buckland missed their chances in front of goal and Bodmin went 2 goals up before half time.

The pick of the goals was a free kick taken around a wall that appeared to be at least one person light.

Bodmin went three goals up shortly after half time and that appeared to be that, but Buckland scored and had a man sent off. The match finished 3-2 to Bodmin but not before several players were hatcheted to the ground as the competitive nature of the competition kicked in. Five minutes of injury time were not enough for Buckland to get the equaliser and Bodmin jumped for joy at the final whistle.

All in all an enjoyable day out helped by the fact that I unexpectedly met up with an old friend and relived past times. One actual match ticked off the list.



No comments:

Post a Comment