Friday 6 May 2016

Planning Ahead - Next Season

Who might I pick to follow next season?

Well we know my number one pick will always be Arsenal in the Premier League.

I only chose Brentford originally because of the Sczcesny connection. I have watched a few matches on television but I feel it is time to change now. Who else could I select at Championship level? The season after next several people have suggested Leicester but next season do I go for Norwich, Sunderland or Newcastle? I  may pick Wigan Athletic coming up from League One as I did some research and they were continually refused entry to the Football League in their early days. They were so eager to progress that they even applied to the Scottish League at one point. Wigan certainly deserve my support.

League One will probably remain Southend United as it is my old home town and I still have friends and family there. Roots Hall is familiar to me as I paid £1.20 per match to get in for my first full season although I vaguely remember paying 80 pence entrance money. Has time faulted my memory or was it really affordable back in the day?

I so want my League Two choice to be Braintree Town but they have a long way to go yet. Firstly they have to not lose to Grimsby in the return leg of the semi-final and then they have to despatch Forest Green (I expect) in the final. No easy task I grant you but I have a feeling for them.

The National League saw me choose Torquay merely for convenience as I live in Exeter and I had full expectations of actually visiting all my picks at the start of the season. Finances and other events have seen me watch very little football except on TV where I can get several matches in on a single day. My pick will be Braintree if they do not work that minor miracle I hope for, otherwise I have to look at Forest Green or Eastleigh although I have been following some other teams like North Ferriby United who are in the playoffs.

As MY pyramid does not include the National League North I have to look South for a team and my Connection with Basingstoke has been lost as they finished bottom but my current choice of Weston-super-Mare have done an excellent job keeping me informed on social media (facebook) so although I have still yet to take that short trip up the M5 I think they deserve my watchful eye for yet another season. Truro City are still in with a chance, though, if they capture my imagination but fail to go up.

Bideford have dropped out of the Southern League Premier Division so I will need a new club there.
Weymouth are not too far away but the road from Exeter is awful. Dorchester are further away but the road is better. Maybe, after mentioning them above, I will be following Basingstoke Town. We shall see.

The Southern League South & West can keep Tiverton Town as they are still only half an hour away and I have still failed to ever visit them. Next season this is a must although last time I contemplated a serious visit I ended up at Elmore Eagles who lost their first team place in the South West Peninsula League and are now rebuilding with the second team becoming the first team. I imagine that this can be quite common as clubs push up the leagues.

My Western League pick has been Barnstaple and as it is at the far end of a very picturesque branch line I always planned on taking the train to watch them. Once again this has yet to happen but perhaps next season if I can find some extra cash somewhere I will finally visit a team that has played very well this season finishing in second place behind Odd Down, a team I want to see progress up through the leagues merely because of their name.

The South West Peninsula Premier Division is my choice for Level 10 rather than the Western League First Division so I will stick with Exmouth Town who are also at the end of a picturesque branch line and I can travel by train.

I realise as I write this that there is still a lot of doubt in my own mind about promotions and relegations and I know from past seasons that just as you think you know who is in which league a team will transfer across at the same level or drop out due to ground grading or fall foul of some other regulation so have to switch leagues to one where they are treated with respect. I shall watch with enormous interest.




No comments:

Post a Comment