Saturday 23 April 2016

Just before the final curtain

I used to love taking risks and predicting football is certainly a risk. The certainty produces a shock result or the team that have never lost at home suddenly lose that record. Today I want to look at the pyramid and guess what might happen. I am certain to be wrong somewhere along the line.

Premier League:

I refuse to call it. My assessment is that if Spurs lose at Chelsea it goes to Leicester but Leicester themselves can win it by getting Vardy back after a single match out. Only time will tell.

100-1 for Crystal Palace to go down to let us assume they are safe. With Aston Villa relegated that leaves two from three. Sunderland have a game in hand but at the bottom a draw can be a huge result. Norwich 31, Sunderland 30, Newcastle 29. Norwich have to play Arsenal and Manchester United then Watford and Everton so they may have to make a late jump to safety. Sunderland have to play Arsenal, Stoke, Chelsea, Everton and Watford. All those teams are beatable and Sunderland have a long history of escaping relegation very late on in the season. Newcastle have to play Liverpool, Crystal Palace, Aston Villa and Tottenham. The guaranteed three points against Villa may yet play a large part.


Championship:

Burnley 87, Middlesbrough 86, Brighton 84 with the last two having a game in hand after Burnley won last night. Burnley have it in their own hands and I can see Middlesbrough joining them in the automatic slots. Brighton then have to contend with Hull, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday in the playoffs. I like the idea of Sheffield Wednesday, 17 points off top slot, being promoted.

At the bottom Bolton, Charlton and Milton Keynes Dons are doomed. Too many other teams are vying for the chance to go down with them so I have to plump for one and I shall pick Fulham.


League One:

Wigan and Burton are in the promotion places but Walsall have a game in hand. I think Walsall will remain in the playoff places with Millwall, Bradford and Barnsley but one of those three will be replaced by seventh placed Gillingham. It may prove interesting to look back at this in the summer.

Crewe Alexandra and Colchester are down I think. Doncaster and Blackpool could escape the drop but somehow I do not think they will. Look for these four in League Two next season.


League Two:

Northampton Town are already promoted as we have seen the celebrations already. The other two automatic places are being fought out by Accrington "Who are they?" Stanley, Oxford United, Plymouth Argyle and Bristol Rovers. I choose Accrington and Bristol Rovers leaving the other two to battle out the playoffs with Portsmouth and AFC Wimbledon.

At the bottom York City leave the Football League along with Dagenham & Redbridge. I think we need a break here before I start the "Non League" stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment